Gladrags is run largely by volunteers and you can be part of our dedicated team!
To enquire about volunteering, please contact Saskia, our Volunteer Coordinator on 07988 864957 or via the Volunteering Enquiry Form. You can work from 2 hrs to 3 days a week, in the store, from home, or combining the two. If you are at school, why not volunteer during the holidays or do your yr 10 work experience with us? We provide volunteer opportunities for people with a range of learning and support needs, working with 10-15 volunteers at any one time. In addition to ongoing volunteering, we offer placement and internship schemes, and right now we need lots of help, in a variety of roles, with our exciting fundraising event celebrating Gladrags’ 21st Birthday! Read more.
We tailor volunteering as much as possible to each person’s interests and experience, be it an interest in costume and the arts, learning opportunities, CV experience or giving time to your local community. You can combine aspects of each of the following roles:
STORE ASSISTANT: preparing costumes for hire and dealing with them upon return; advising customers and selecting items for hire; organising costume storage and display; repair and care of costume.
- EVENT WORKER: working as part of a small team to run dressing-up and storytelling activities at local libraries and children’s centres in deprived areas as well as at community events.
WORKSHOP ASSISTANT: Supporting our workshop leader in the preparation and delivery of school and community-based workshops, teaching sewing skills, and recycled fashion techniques; working with children and young people in deprived communities.
- REMINISCENCE WORKER: supporting the reminiscence leader to run clothing and artefact-based reminiscence sessions or needlecraft get-togethers.
- COSTUME MAKING: constructing/ adapting/ customising costumes and accessories; sewing pre-cut patterns; cutting/ sewing patterns from scratch; millinery.
- PROPS/ DIY: Adapting/ constructing props; installing simple fixtures and fittings; constructing storage systems.
- PHOTOGRAPHY/ FILM: Documenting outreach projects; building a costume gallery and an image bank of our costumes, both in-store, and in use by user groups.
- ADMIN SUPPORT: Reception duties; sourcing/ ordering goods and services; data entry and inventory work; sorting/ filing/ copying etc.
- FUNDRAISING: assist in the running of fundraising events; set up of ‘Friends/ Facebook friends of Gladrags.
- PR: correspondence with existing and potential user groups; assisting with social media and advertising.
The Gladrags store is open to volunteers on a Tuesday or Wednesday between 10.00am and 2.30pm and on a Thursday between 10.00am and 6.30pm. We provide induction, training and peer support to new volunteers.
We offer optional sewing-skills training, catering to all abilities, and regularly review other potential training opportunities relevant to volunteer roles.
We cover standard travel expenses and all volunteers are fully insured whilst working with us.
“Gladrags is a very friendly and approachable organisation which works hard to individually accommodate all its volunteers’ needs. I have gained many new skills and my experience with Gladrags has given me a confidence to apply for professional community based work which I have been successful in doing.” Jessie Martelhof