“Absolutely fantastic resource – the boy and girl suitcases brought the “evacuee” experience to life. We sometimes forget that many items in those days really need a hands on approach to get the real understanding of the time. The children loved the experience and I would recommend it to others.” Manoj Natha-Hansen, teacher, Meath Green School
- Complementing our provision to school plays and musicals, our aim at Gladrags is to provide costume as an affordable and enhancing learning tool, pertinent to school subjects, activities, and key learning objectives.
- Worn by both teachers and pupils our costumes have enriched many a classroom topic, project, presentation or open day. See our ‘Shared Ideas‘ page to find out how other teachers have used our resources.
- We offer historical costume and authentic vintage and cultural clothing to suit most eras and countries, plus plenty
more. Perfect for a Stunning Start, we can fit a range of key historical figures, from Cleopatra and Florence Nightingale to Henry VIII and Thomas Becket …and The Bard goes without saying!
Resource Boxes (from £5 for members £8 for non-members – see RESOURCE BOX PRICES 2015)
- Contain clothing, accessories and artefacts tailored to your specific project and requirements.
- Inspire discussion, enquiry and creative output.
- Complement role-play, hot-seating, freeze-framing, character work.
- Contribute to increased understanding of a topic or subject matter.
- Invite exploration of social and historical contexts of era, country or culture.
Used imaginatively, costume offers a fresh and interactive approach to cross-curricula learning at KS1 / KS2 / KS3 levels, and our Resource Boxes take into account the new National Curriculum, in particular catering to history curriculum eras including:
Stone-age, Egyptians, Vikings, Anglo-saxons, Tudors, Victorians, WW1, WW2, Evacuees.
Other popular boxes include:
Text-specific, Creative Writing Themes, African, Indian, Mixed World Dress, Historical Figures.
We do appreciate how very busy you are, and as well as selecting costumes yourselves, you can simply order outfits and boxes for collection; give us your wish-list and we’ll get it all together for you!
You can make your budget stretch further by becoming a member. Annual membership fee applies and entitles you to at least 40% discount on all hires. Read more
“I regularly send my students to Gladrags to find costumes for their drama AS level exam performances. The exam requires them to source costumes themselves, which can be daunting, and I know they will be well supported at Gladrags to choose costumes that will boost their performance work. Because the students pictured could access the period costumes they needed they were able to really engage with their characters, notably in terms of mannerisms and movement.”
Charlotte Grosvenor, Head of Drama,
Cardinal Newman School