Our role in the local community takes a number of forms and is central to our ethos. As well as providing highly affordable costumes, Gladrags prides itself as a resource for community events bringing the colour and magic of costume, and the traditions of storytelling into the community.
“I have never seen the whole library working as one as it was that morning with children really taking part in the storytelling and using their imagination, pensioners enjoying watching and the special needs group being included so well.”
On average, we are involved in 15 community events a year, including:
- small local celebrations such as Bates Estate and Coldean festivals; Friends of Saunders Park family fun day; Moulsecoomb Forest Garden open day.
- Heritage and Themed events such as The Keep and Brighton Dome heritage days; Patching Lodge Reminiscence Week; Brighton Museum ‘Late’ multi-media events.
- Larger-scale city-wide happenings such as the Children’s Festival; National Play Day; Bike Week.
Our interactive storytelling sessions see children put together outfits from our dressing-up boxes and with our help, invent characters for themselves. Their input then drives the narrative of living stories, instantly invented and spell-bindingly told by our storyteller! You could find us running a Mad Hatters tea party at Crawley’s Worth Park Children’s Day; whispering ghost stories at Hallow’een with Chomp Club; teaming up with Brighton and Hove Libraries to set up quests linked to the National Summer Reading Challenge.
Dress up tent and mobile wardrobe
Inviting imagination, creativity and fun, our colour-filled dressing-up corners can be themed to your event, or we can surprise you with our eclectic range of costumes and activities, from stylish to outlandish!
You can even select the resources you need yourself and run your own dress-up event! Bevendean History Group ran a stall and photo-shoot with vintage clothing and props that took people back in time to the balmy days of Bevendean Farm.
Health and Well-Being
In addition to the intrinsic well-being elements of all our outreach activities, we support specific events and activities designed to promote the health and well-being of particular groups, and create play opportunities for children and young people experiencing extreme life challenges. Previous activities include:
- a razzle dazzle costume wardrobe, as part of a memory-making event for young people with life-limiting illnesses, put together by the charity Forward Facing.
- a bugs and beasties dress-up box for the charity Safety Net’s anti-bullying event for children.
- costume photo shoot and ‘feel-good’ session at our store for groups such as “Young Carers” Group; Brighton and Hove Inclusion Project; ‘Miss Represented’ – young women offenders group.
See prices & terms for event costs. We are able to subsidise costs for some groups. Please contact us regarding eligibility for this scheme.
Please use the ‘contact form’ to book us for your event, or call us on 01273 609184/ 07940 295623.