“The students effectively produced their own film ‘Rodney Stone’, selected the costumes themselves. Guided by Gladrags, they made some wonderful choices, which they should be proud of. It just shows how important a resource Gladrags is to the community and to education.”Phil Rose, Lewes Youth Theatre, Sussex Downs College
Resource boxes: costumes and props tailored to the topic of your school class or theme of your community project (see schools and colleges for examples.)
Reminiscence boxes: vintage clothing and historical artifacts tailored to your reminiscence eras, most commonly 1940s -1970s. Local projects include:
- Memory making events and reminiscence sessions 1950s- 1970s in partnership with The Keep – On Your Doorstep Project
- “What we wore” session (1950s-60s) and “Razzle Dazzle” box for Patching Lodge/ Lifelines reminiscence week
- Farming life 1900 – 1950s – photoshoot for Bevendean History Group community day
Providing information and visual reference on:
- historical clothing and costume
- world/ cultural dress
- affordable, local costume resources
As well as general reference for use in the store, books can be loaned as a support tool to teachers/ workshop leaders/ designers/ makers etc.
EQUIPMENT AND FABRIC
The following are available to loan:
- 4 domestic sewing machines
- 1 over-locker
- 1 knitting machine
- basic sewing kits
- work space for costume-making (available during our opening hours)
(Members = free/ Non-members = by donation)
We also supply Recycled Fabrics and Clothing for free that can be constructed/adapted to make costumes that suit the needs of the group/ project. We simply ask that fished articles are returned to Gladrags once the project is over.
Offers of quality fabrics and trimmings are always greatly appreciated!
SERVICE (a flexible approach to costume hire)
We like to make our approach to costume hire as differentiated as possible, responding to each group’s particular needs. Here are some of the ways we can help out – you can:
- visit us simply to browse and get ideas and inspiration for your project from what is available at Gladrags.
- bring your group to Gladrags for fittings and/ or to explore the role of costume in their project, make guided choices and feel inspired!
- take costumes away for fittings for FREE to assist in the project’s design or other creative process.
- have the freedom to search out and put outfits together yourselves, with or without assistance, or have us put outfits together for you.
- benefit from discounts for long-term hires and rehearsal weeks, ensuring your group members have the time to familiarise themselves with their costumes, and get the best out of them.
- get support from us with the design, making, adapting and sourcing of costumes for your project, including ideas on how to make effective costumes on a small budget (contacting us well in advance works best).
- get help from us in shaping costume elements of your project, for example, workshops, community events, reminiscence sessions.